In Our Space, the stage is the community. The Our Space program period will run June – October 2021 and will culminate with a documentary film screening and panel discussion in December 2021. Artists call applications close on Monday, June 7, 2021 at 5:00p. Applications will be reviewed by a jury of BIPOC artists and TCMA staff with the final artist selections announced in June.
Selected artists will work in pairs to create visually stimulating artistic experiences inspired by community storytellers from across the Saint Paul area. Performances will take place in a public space influenced by storytellers’ experiences. All performances, including the development process for each performance, will be professionally documented by video.
TCMA will hold and record an informational session for artists seeking to learn more about the project. Register here for the session
Artists selected for the 2021 cohort will be expected to commit not only their talents, but also their time to deliver impactful performance art experiences. You can expect the following investment of time. All items are deemed mandatory:
Our Space Breaking Bread outdoors dinner
- Evening of June 25th, 2021
Orientation and two-day public art intensive training
Weekly cohort meetings
- Meetings run three hours
- Additional meetings, rehearsals, etc. outside of weekly cohort meetings. It is expected that teams will work together outside of these meetings to ensure they meet their artistic goals. It will be up to each team to determine the hours necessary to achieve the desired result.
- Filming for the 2021 Our Space documentary will occur at these cohort meetings and will be ongoing throughout the project.
Project wrap-up interview, includes debrief and evaluation
Documentary film screening and artist Q&A panel discussion in December 2021
**Our Space Is Spoken For is still taking COVID-19 precautions into consideration and will be examining local and CDC guidelines to determine the safest, most efficient way to conduct weekly cohort meetings and share the final documentary experience with our communities. Please consider prior engagements before submitting applications. Additional details to follow.**
Each selected artist will be paid $3,000 over the project period for their work with Our Space. Outside of this compensation, TCMA will cover all material costs related to Our Space performances (budget to be announced at the Our Space artist orientation). Materials purchased and used will be made available for future Our Space performances. Budgetary allowances are being provided by TCMA so artists don’t have to use their remuneration towards expenses now or in the future.
The budget will also include:
Consultations/assistance from creative specialists in areas including, but not limited to:
- Costume design
- Set/prop design and/or fabrication
- Lighting design
- Sound design
- Movement or speech work
**Artists are not responsible for recruiting their own creative specialists**
Professional video documentation of performances
Two-day public art training intensive by FORECAST Public Art
Monday, June 7
*Artist applications are due Monday, June 7, 2021 at 5:00p.*
**Details on the virtual artist info session is below.**
Early June 2021
Mid June 2021
Late June-Early July
Mandatory orientation and community building activities
- Our Space breaking bread gathering/dinner (outdoors) evening of June 25th
- Our Space artist orientation
- Two-day public art training intensive by FORECAST Public Art for Our Space artists
Our Space Artist Cohort production, includes:
- Weekly cohort meetings
- Develop a project vision, locate a public space for final performances (with help from Our Space production team), design & fabrication, performance rehearsals
- Documentary team films process, cohort meetings, artists’ meetings, etc
Project wrap-up meeting
- Includes debrief and feedback/evaluation from program participants.